B1 English Test Preparation in Sheffield for UK Settlement
1 – Background to the Exam
The new requirements for applications made for Settlement / ILR / Naturalisation applications, received by the Home Office on or after 28th October 2013, state that applicants are required to:
- Pass the Life in the UK Test AND
- have a B1 speaking & listening qualification at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification
2 – Detailed Exam Information
The B1 Exam has 2 phases of up to 5 minutes each:
1. Discussion of a prepared topic (up to 5 minutes)
When choosing your topic, you should choose a subject that you know a lot about and can talk about with the examiner for up to 5 minutes such as: a hobby, holiday, your family, your job, your home country.
Before your examination you must complete a ‘Topic form’ which you will give to the examiner when you enter the examination room. We have provided you with this form. The examiner uses the information on the Topic form to help begin and develop a discussion about your chosen topic area. You do not need to try to memorise what you are going to say.
2. Conversation on two subject areas (up to 5 minutes)
This is a Conversation on two topics selected by the examiner. This gives you the chance to have a real and interesting exchange of information, ideas and opinions, while showing you are able to use the language needed.
The Conversation consists of a discussion of two of the subject areas listed below. You need to be able to talk about all of them.
- Means of transport
- Special occasions
- Recent personal experiences
You can watch 2 videos of the exam by clicking here and clicking “Gd5 Serafim” and “Gd5 Srija”.
After watching the video read the ‘Trinity marks for the grade 4-6 candidates‘ to see the examiner’s score given for the candidate and why – please note that both candidates pass!
If you want more help for the exam you can book:
- On the day B1 English Test Preparation – £40
- B1 English Test Preparation Course 4 x 2 hours over 2 weeks- £125 (including workshops, practice exam and revision material)